This blog is all about the public sector and my thoughts and viewpoints as a public servant. It's my way of venting and interpreting things through my reality. So, rather than sit quiet and let it hit the fan, I decided its time to put people and departments on blast. It's my therapy. Its unabashed, unabridged and uncensored. It's all real. Read and find out. You may be enlightened, disgusted, impressed or indifferent. You decide...

Monday, June 13, 2005

The art of ass kissing

It's a skill that I greatly admire. Yes, I did say "admire". Why? Because a good bullshiter----I mean a REALLY good BS'er---can convince those in the front line, those fellow worker bees, that he/she is competent, knowledgeable and trustworthy. If he/she can fool the worker bees, then it is easy to fool the Queen Bee and everyone else in the hive. Those are the ones that are deadly in the long run.

They have great oratory skills, command a presence, and can work a room. They are slick and we love them and love to hate them.

It is a true skill, really. The real art is seeing how long they can last without being exposed.

I think a kiss ass is only as good as the support that he or she gets from the ass being kissed. Again, this comes back to social construction and how much power we give to these ass kissers without calling them on the carpet and exposing them for what they are.

We create the kiss asses because we let it happen. We don't put a stop to it but give it power by talking about it and building it up. A true kiss ass will be keen to what we are trying to do---break him down---and then act accordingly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home