This blog is all about the public sector and my thoughts and viewpoints as a public servant. It's my way of venting and interpreting things through my reality. So, rather than sit quiet and let it hit the fan, I decided its time to put people and departments on blast. It's my therapy. Its unabashed, unabridged and uncensored. It's all real. Read and find out. You may be enlightened, disgusted, impressed or indifferent. You decide...

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Mentor me

So, rather than assume that we are not good enough to advance up the rankings, the leaders go outside and look for candidates for top positions.

Why not mentor me?
Why not develop me or one of us who already works here?

Just because I have worked here for years and have been comfortable with my job and position doesn't mean that I don't want to move up. Hell, we all could use a little extra pocket change can't we? Maybe I'm just bored. Unchallenged. Complacent. Cynical. Bored. Unchallenged. Complacent. Bored. (get the picture?)

Why don't you ask us if we are interested in advancement? Do you know that we have degrees? Experience? Untapped potential and drive?

Probably not. I know that because you never ask. You assume.
Send us to classes. Give us projects. Talk to us. Figure us out. Know what we want.

Never underestimate the power of your people. We are your biggest resource.
We are the ones with the real power......a lot of us just don't know it yet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

for chris sake stop whining and take the initiative aparently u r not worthy cuz yur never asked my suggestion to u---get a new job get a new backbone get a life

8:31 PM

 
Blogger Just another guy trying to rule the world... said...

Huh? Do you mean I am not worthy because I am never asked? You are missing the point. Extroverts are more likely to be chosen for tasks (it seems) than introverts. So, that is why a lot of us do not vocalize or play the "game" to get what we want. A lot of us think, hope and pray that our efforts, hard work and accomplishments gain or warrant advancement. That's my point.

9:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Mr. PS. It is hard enough to get up and go to work each day, keeping in mind that you need to fly under the radar but not so low as to not be noticed. Why can't I do a good job and be recognized for my work as opposed to play all the political games? Who has time to do good work when you are busy figuring out which butt to kiss and how much kissing is too much? I didn't grow up; get a degree and work hard just to play a popularity game at work. I could have stayed in the third grade for that.

10:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home