This blog is all about the public sector and my thoughts and viewpoints as a public servant. It's my way of venting and interpreting things through my reality. So, rather than sit quiet and let it hit the fan, I decided its time to put people and departments on blast. It's my therapy. Its unabashed, unabridged and uncensored. It's all real. Read and find out. You may be enlightened, disgusted, impressed or indifferent. You decide...

Monday, August 30, 2004

One last thought....

One last thing to think about ....

Meetings.

You know them.
You have been to them.
You dread them.

But how essential are they?

In the private sector, the meetings that we had made a difference. We had goals, we had agendas and we had results. Afterall, time is money.

In the public sector, meetings are held to gain consensus. A lot times, no real decisions are made. Since we have no bottom line, the meetings are usually about projects, rules, regulations, policies or anything pertaining to it. It is almost never about money (with the exception of how to save due to the budget crisis here). And, the meetings always last for hours.

These meetings allow me to see the viewpoints of those in charge. For me that is essential. It gives me an idea as to where the direction of the organization is going. But besides my selfish intentions, I sometimes think that the meetings held in my twisted world of the public sector are meaningless.

Sometimes I think that they are held just to look important to the members of the organization. When meetings are held, the organization will talk, wonder and gossip as to what is going on. Meetings may also make the members feel important and have a sense of belonging. You really shouldn't have to feel important, though. You should know that what you do is important and makes a difference. A hard working leader, a leader that supports you, a leader that values and considers your opinion, is what is needed. That is what gives you respect. And, isn't that better than looking good to the organization?

It's really not the meetings themselves that bother me, I guess. Maybe it's the content and length of the meeting. Meetings for new policies and how to implement them - Yes. Meetings to discuss an employee - No. Meetings to brainstorm and forecast - Yes. Meetings to discuss employee morale - No.

Why have a meeting if there is no ultimate goal. Isn't it really then just a "bitch session"? I say NO to meetings for employee morale because the problem will NEVER be solved unless the employees are involved to discuss what makes them unhappy. What should they be afraid of? The worst that the employee can say is that they do not like you, the job or working here, right? What do you say to that? --- Answer: What can we do to make it better?

Just my thought for the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home